A Walk in the Woods

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A few ramblings

Almost a week into my first blogging attempt, I think I've learned a couple of things from it. For one thing, I’ve come to realize how gullible I am, ----gullible in the sense that I don’t hesitate at all to buy just about any information that comes to my mind, although in many cases my bad memory has distorted it to the point that on second thought, it is just absurd. For example, in the last post I said something nonsensical that no one in their right mind would possibly believe concerning the delivery of laundry from Japan to Vietnam.

I read an article on the process of memory distortion the other day, that says it is relatively rare that information remains intact and undistorted in one's brain a few years after it was input.

In my case, I had read on a website about the place I paid a visit to that the cleaning service they offered in the US base, that I mentioned in the last post, was extended as far as Guam at times, but it didn’t mention at all that it stretched as far away as Vietnam or anywhere else in war situations. They would fly laundry from Vietnam to Japan after hell freezes over. That’s how the information was distorted by faulty wiring in my brain.

On the other hand, if one has the habit of seeing things from a different, more rational perspective before he/she dares to speak them out loud, it would be pretty easy to avoid making errors of that sort. The thing is, I'm not that kind. To put it differently, it’s called an “idiot,” “bonehead,” “moron,” or whatever.

Maybe it was just that I cringed at the thought of how much longer it would take to write all the stuff over again from scratch, so while knowing that it sounded too stupid, I didn’t do anything to make it right. Or I might have made up a story unwittingly to make it look more plausible. Having said that, I don't know which of the explanations is more true either, because I don't have a good short-term memory.

Another thing I’ve found is that it takes too much time for me to post anything. The easy part is coming up with a rough idea of what to write. Much of the time is spent making revisions by resorting to search engines out there, without which it is impossible for non-native English speakers like me to write in English.
In any event, one thing I’m pretty convinced of after a week of blogging experience is that it sure is good to have a blog of your own from the standpoint of practicing writing English. For those of you who happen to read this, I definitely recommend giving blogging a shot as a means of practicing writing.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You write very well. I related to this post quite a bit.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Tanaka said…

    Thank you for being the first to comment on here.
    The fact is that I've started this thing up as part of my effort to learn English and that I've never dreamt of actually receiving comments from your countries.

    My wild guess is that you've come across here while doing a blog search on Google with a keyword "A la Research du Temps peru (?)." Well I don't know how many times I tried to read the first few pages of it, only to find myself hunched over my desk the next morning when I woke up, with the book either on the floor or dipped in a pool of drool on the desk...

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    No, I just clicked "Next Blog." It's funny, though, about the mention of Proust. It took me a few years, but I did manage to read all of it (in English, that is) -- I remember the first 30 pages were dreadful, as it was all about him turning over once in bed. After that, though, it got way better. The last volumes were the best -- Baron Charlus starts wearing makeup and going to S&M places. And, Proust can be very funny. Like in his description of fashion in war-time France (I guess the rage was to wear spent bullet casings as jewelry, in "support of the troops." Probably like how people today wear those silly yellow and pink bracelets in support of AIDS and cancer patients).

    I'm not sure if I'd be in the mood to read it all again, though. I did try, and failed. I'd probably just pick up the last volume.

     
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    By the way, I am quite proud to be the first person to comment on your blog -- I really like your writing.

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Tanaka said…

    Thank you I'm flattered.

    See you soon.

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    »

     
  • At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
    »

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home