A Walk in the Woods

Monday, April 09, 2007

Writing practice 4

I think I found out the main reason why my short-term memory is deteriorating. I got hideously drunk the other day and when I woke up the next morning, it took me more than fifteen minutes or so to recall what I had done and where I had been the night before. A friend of mine said he got drunk so bad the other day that only after he woke up the next morning did he find he'd broken his hand but had no idea whatsoever where and how. When you drink too much, maybe you won’t be aware of the fact that you’re dead already the next morning. It’s not a bad way to end your life.

Last week I finished “The world is flat.” It seemed to me that the only thing the author is yelling throughout every chapter is how gifted and talented people in India are. So it would be safe to say that the book is all about India, and its implications are that people with no degree in science will have no place to live in the industrialized world in the future, that what history tells us is Marxism has been right all along, that the author spent a whole lot of time studying Marxism at college, that there must be an awful lot of potential math geniuses among children in India who live on less than $1 a day, that they deserve to lead a much better life, while idiots living in the more developed world who enjoy a much better life like me just because they’re in the developed world should die fast, and so on. It made me feel alienated more than ever cause my low IQ prevented me from even dreaming of going to places where science or engineering is taught. So as far as I’m concerned, it was a depressing read and I’m feeling much better now cause I don’t have to read it anymore.
The only saving grace was that I got the hardcover version, which comes with a flimsy paper cover on it, something that paperback versions usually do not have; when inserted between pages the end of the cover served as a sort of bookmark, saving me the trouble of reading the same parts over and over again like I did with Apollo 13.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home