A Walk in the Woods

Saturday, August 19, 2023

 I wasn't vaccinated even once against the COVID-19 during the entire period of the pandemic. The reason is more out of laziness than out of health concern. Unlike the rest of the world, there is no need for a vaccination certificate or anything of the sort to go into restaurants or anywhere in Japan. In that respect, Japan might look more lax than other countries, despite the fact that most people obediently wear masks (I’m sure it has more to do with the fact that wearing a face mask during winter has always been common practice here). From what I’ve gathered, the death rate within 4 days of covid vaccination is on average about one in fifty thousand. To give an example, in Kanagawa Prefecture with a population of slightly less than ten million, there were reportedly about 100 deaths within 4 days of vaccination, a hundred people in five million. While it's a pretty sobering figure, scientists would argue that the death toll from the Covid would have been way much higher if no vaccination measures had been implemented, while possibly adding that it's a statistically negligible number.  But it has me wondering how the bereaved families would have felt after their beloved one passed away. According to the logic of the experts, they were sacrificed for the common good of all. For me, it's a good thing that vaccination is not mandatory in Japan. I’ve been suffering from high blood pressure my whole life, and if I get vaccinated, there is a good chance that I fall victim to the common good of society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home