A Walk in the Woods

Sunday, July 02, 2006

World Cup 3

I was watching one of the quarter finals kick off when they got the British captain reading out something about fight against racism before the game. I wonder whether the other game today between France and Brazil will start off with the same thing. Every time I see the French team playing, I can't help but wonder why there is not a single player who looks like real French people (not legally, but ethnically speaking.)
The reason I say this is because last month I saw a TV documentary that gave a sense of how prevalent and socially structured racism is in France these days, especially in terms of job opportunities. If I give credit to it, the toll racism takes on minorities in the country is so devastating that it's no wonder that racial turmoil erupted there recently. The irony is that the French team seems to consist almost exclusively of players of the races that are discriminated against.

However, that's absolutely none of my business.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:13 AM, Blogger Satya said…

    completely true!!! it happens in most countries. the people who are discriminated against actually come out and do things better than the "original" inhabitants.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Tanaka said…

    I think so.

    By the way, it’s a shame that Brazil leaves this early.

    It seems that institutionalized discrimination like Apartheid is easy to spot, while cases like those found in some countries are not. They can even participate in World Cup.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home