A Walk in the Woods

Tuesday, May 08, 2007


 Today was the day I used my fan for the first time this year. I suppose people who are unable to open their windows for noise or air pollution concerns have also started using their air conditioners this week. I didn't stash it away last fall. It stays on my desktop all the year round though it seems to not fit on a desktop considering its large size. It’s supposed to be used on floors. My desk is so large that it can accommodate a PC, a bookshelf, loudspeakers, a printer, and the fan at once. During the winter, I usually store it in a closet, in the space that a heater takes up during the summer. The last winter was exceptionally warm and I didn't need any heater. It was the first time that there was no snow accumulation in winter in Tokyo since I was born. I don't know if it has to do with global warming. A couple of days ago I watched the Beatles' Budokan live in 1966 on DVD. About half of it was their interview and scenes of them landing at the Haneda airport, getting into a white Toyota Crown, making their way to their accommodation through a then-new Tokyo highway, staying in their hotel rooms, and ultra-right-wing people in Shinbashi protesting the use of Budokan for a concert of Western music for the first time in its history. Despite the fact that it was filmed more than 40 years ago, the city of Tokyo didn't strike me as archaic at all. Shinbashi city looked cleaner than today. At the interview, they were obviously sick and tired of having to answer questions that I found couldn't be more silly. One of the questions went like, "How highly would you rate your own music?" or something like that. Silly as it sounds, it was one of the least stupid questions they were asking. Paul McCartney answered, "We are not very good musicians, we're adequate, but not very good." I remember him repeating the word 'adequate' a couple of times. The concert was pretty good. In fact I hadn't expected it was so good. Some musicians out there are real pros, they are technically perfect all the time, the musical instruments and equipment they're using are of top quality almost all the time. But most of the time they have little or no appeal. When it comes to music, being technically perfect doesn't mean they can create music that's appealing to people. During the concert George Harrison put his Gibson semi-acoustic guitar aside for a while and strummed a red Rickenbacker only for his "If I needed someone." The same model is being sold in a shop in Ochanomizu. I kind of like it. Their performance of the song was a bit lousy but that seemed to make it that much more appealing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home