A Walk in the Woods

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Writing exercise 3

Needless to say, writing something always ends up being much more revealing to the writer himself than to readers.

Yesterday I wrote I didn’t like Japanese manga, but saying that you don’t like something is not the same as reviling it, or is it? Obviously I’m the one who’s idiosyncratic in this case, and deservedly so, when it comes to something as ubiquitous as Japanese manga. I know full well that to some of you, manga has been and will always be part of your life, and if someone said something like I said yesterday, you may feel you’re bad-mouthed. But that’s not true. I think there's a difference between saying you don’t like something and reviling it. As far as the mangaphobia I've been suffering from for so long goes, bad-mouthing it won't make any good; I must find a way to overcome the nasty symtomps associated with it. Feeling alienated by the culture you must live with increases the chance of your feeling suicidal, however trivial it may seem. The best bet would be to try as hard as you can to get used to it, to the point that you feel you've become a big fan of it without your knowledge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home