A Walk in the Woods

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Diary 1

These days not a day goes by that I don't listen to She loves you or I want to hold your hands at least once a day (Would the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.) I think I got hooked. I also listen to the Hamburg live. Thanks to Wikipedia I learned quite a bit about the days before they became what we know they were. One of the anecdotes that intrigued me is that some people blamed the death of Stewart Sutcliffe on Lennon. I don't know how true it is. Who cares. The information offered by Wikipedia and external links it provides about Beatles is very detailed and exhaustive. Sometimes Wikipedia provides only sketchy information depending on the theme. The information it provides about Beatles is just amazing. One of the links gives a full list of their songs with comments on each song from the members. I was particularly moved by Paul's comments on his Your mother should know and Let it be. He said Mother Mary in the song was his own mother. Before writing the song he had a dream where his mother who died when he was 14 appeared. He said it was a very rare experience for him and led to the creation of the song everybody knows now. I remember him saying Yesterday was also created in his dream.
On a side note I remember someone arguing that the English used in Wikipedia is sometimes sloppy. I don't know how true it is. I'm not proficient enough in English to say anything, much less pontificate, about it. English is now the de facto "lingua franca" and I've come to realize that just because English is my second language, that doesn't give me an excuse to write bad English in this age of the Internet. The other day I found a site where people from around the world gather to exchange information and tips using only English. I've been spending quite a lot of time (or goofing off) there the past few weeks and even had the nerve to post a few comments despite my poor English. Most of them write very good English though many of them say English is not their mother tongue. I did pontificate on something about Japanese a couple of times, only to add to confusion on the part of askers. What I found out is that teaching Japanese to people overseas is not as easy as I thought it would be. I admit there were a few inconsistencies in what I explained to them. But overall I don't think what I said was wrong. When it comes to language, sometimes it could take a lot of words to explain even a seemingly very simple thing. One thing for certain is that if I were a little better versed in English than I am now, the whole thing would be a lot easier. At any rate this whole experience was enough to make me realize I should be much more serious about learning English as long as I'm interested in learning it. As far as this site, it's my own site, so no matter how bad my English might be, that's not that much of a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home