A Walk in the Woods

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Writing exercise 17

I'm blogging only for self-serving reasons. I'm blogging not for profits. So I can write anything I want no matter how boring it gets, unless I write something too derogatory or obscene about someone or something.
Writing in a foreign language gives a kind of perverted pleasure which I suspect native speakers of that language might not understand. I've even come to the point where I find myself possessed by the desire to write something at all times. Just writing such meaningless sentences as "I ate two apples and three bananas this morning," makes me feel so happy sometimes, though I don't have the boldness to say such a thing. In other words, I find pleasure in writing in a foreign language in pretty much the same way I felt so happy when I began writing in my own tongue at elementary school.
But the fact is "words fail me," to borrow the title of a book. Or more exactly, "English fails me," as far as I go.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Andrés Suárez said…

    Dear friend: I write you from Chile, where we speak spanish, sorry. You say you live at Tanaka, long time ago I meet a coupple with that name, even another one called Kanata, what seems very similar for me in the phonetic aspect...Your blog was just the next to the one of mine: but I write just in spanishe there. Anyway, regards from the other side of the Pacific. Andres- (in English it is Andrew, it's a name that came from Greece)

     
  • At 7:34 AM, Blogger Tanaka said…

    Thanks for dropping by. You've made me want to learn Spanish because I'd like to know exactly what you're talking about in your blog. By the way, Tanaka is not the name of a place but my name. I wonder how it sounds in the phonetic system of your language.
    Many of the blogs I find out there are in Spanish. Maybe it's time for everyone to learn Spanish!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home