A Walk in the Woods

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Writing exercise 6

.
After going to a keirin stadium nearby last Sunday, I went over to a pub in Kokubunji that I would frequent about five years ago, but I'd forgotten it closes on Sundays. So I headed to the next town, strolled around the streets for a while in the twilight, and decided to stop in an izakaya (Japanese style pub) I'd never been to before. Luckily enough, I found the place so cozy and comfortable and, on top of that, I had a crush on mama-san there who said she was at the tender age of 57. So while I had no luck with the keirin races, overall I felt pretty fortunate that Sunday.
These days more and more these kinds of small izakaya are going out of business, in part because, from what I've gathered from people running those pubs, younger generations today do not drink as much as older generations used to when young, and in part because heavily-invested chain izakayas are increasingly taking away their share, making every suburban city look pretty much the same, and contributing to the deculturalization of our country, especially in terms of the landscape of suburban cities.

It looks like there's no such English word as 'deculturalization.' I think I wanted to mean by that that things tend to become more bland as we get more 'civilized,' but I don't know for sure myself nor am I particularly willing to Yahoo! or G##gle it. In Japanese, it's possible to create new words by combining Kanji (Chinese) characters in any way you want, thanks to Kanji characters being ideographic. Except that we don't do that very often. At any rate I think it's good to revel in the pleasure of creating new combinations of Kanji characters to create new words or ideas on our own, rather than spending time fooling around with English words and being laughed at by English-speaking people as the world's largest producer of 'Engrish' when it comes to ads. I know I have absolutely no say about being laughed at. But as far as 'Engrish' goes, my point of view is that the English used solely for advertising purposes in Japan only doesn't have to be grammatically correct, or even genuine English words, for that matter. It's something that needs to be construed in the terms of semantics, like 'connotation,' etc.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Monoculturalization?

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Tanaka said…

    Sure.
    Maybe that's what I meant. But the truth is I always want to create as many new words as I can and put them into my writing like Joyce did. If I do it in my own language, it'll make me look like someone who needs to be hospitalized, so I don't do that though I'd like to.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home